Healthy Smoothies Recipes: Nutrition for Weight Watchers
One of the hidden dangers when you’re trying to lose weight is that you may deprive yourself of essential vitamins and minerals. Dieters who want to lose weight fast often limit the quantity and variety of the foods they eat. To make sure that you are getting the nutrients your body needs without excess calories, make healthy smoothies recipes that are low in fat and carbohydrates. A low-calorie smoothie is a good option when you want to shed pounds.
Low calorie smoothies are easy to make at home. Unlike commercial smoothies that are often loaded with sugar and fat, homemade smoothies can be made with low fat and low carbohydrate ingredients. Using whole fruits adds fiber in the smoothie. Fiber adds bulk and makes you feel full longer without additional calories.
Tips for Making a Low Calorie Smoothie
- When preparing a low calorie smoothie, use nonfat milk instead of full cream milk. Substitute nonfat yogurt for ice cream or regular yogurt.
- Use ice to thicken your smoothie. It’s calorie-free and will make your drink more refreshing.
- Use water or green tea for the liquid component of the smoothie.
- Whole fruits are rich in minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and the all-important fiber. Fruits provide a natural sweetness and the fiber in fruits helps regulate blood sugar levels and adds bulk.
- Use low calorie fresh fruits such as blueberries, lemons, apples, papayas, watermelon, strawberries, pineapples and honeydew melon. When using frozen or canned fruits, make sure they have no added sugar.
- Add leafy green vegetables to your smoothie. Spinach and lettuce add fiber, antioxidants and vitamins but contain very few calories.
Healthy Smoothies Recipes for Weight Loss
The smoothie recipes below are low in calories but are packed with nutrients for good health. These healthy recipes will help you shed extra pounds.
Beneficial Berry Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 banana, peeled and sliced
- 3 leaves of chard, rinsed
- 1 big handful of fresh baby spinach leaves
- 3 cups water
Combine all ingredients in a blender. Puree to desired consistency. Add ice cubes or crushed ice for a thicker smoothie.
Banana Orange Smoothie Recipe
- 1 banana
- 1 orange, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup low fat yogurt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 6 ice cubes
Spinach Romaine Banana Ginger Smoothie
- a handful of romaine lettuce
- a handful of spinach
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger
- 1 to 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup water
- Ice cubes
Put all ingredients in a blender. Blend until thick and smooth.