Healthy Smoothies with Low Glycemic Index for Weight Loss
When you’re trying to lose weight a low glycemic index diet can be helpful in controlling your appetite. In addition, low GI foods are useful for people who are diabetic or pre-diabetic. The sugars in foods with low glycemic index are absorbed more slowly, avoiding extreme ups and downs in the blood sugar level. Healthy smoothies with low glycemic index are helpful in weight loss because they keep you feeling full longer so you are less likely to overeat.
Health Benefits of Low Glycemic Index Smoothies
A healthy, low-glycemic index smoothie provides essential vitamins and minerals for good health. While providing nutrition, smoothies with low GI provide a steady supply of energy by releasing glucose into the bloodstream slowly and steadily. Some of the health benefits of low-GI diets include:
- Controls the appetite by sustaining a feeling of fullness between meals
- Balances energy levels
- Lowers insulin demand
- Aids in weight control
- Controls blood sugar levels
- Reduces cholesterol
- Lowers the risk of developing heart disease and diabetes
While a low-glycemic index diet is tailored for diabetics and people who are trying to lose weight, it is also beneficial to everyone else. After all, it is a healthy diet regimen. That’s why everyone can benefit from healthy smoothies with low glycemic index.
How to Make a Healthy Low-GI Smoothie for Weight Loss
If your goal is to lose weight, your smoothie must be low-calorie and low-fat. Here’s a guide for making low calorie smoothies with low glycemic index.
- Choose a nutritious base rich in protein and calcium. Low fat organic milk, almond milk or soy milk are good choices.
- Add fruits with low glycemic index such as berries. They are rich in fiber and antioxidants but contain lesser carbohydrates. Bananas and pineapple have moderate glycemic index.
- Increase the nutritional value of your smoothie by adding a scoop of protein powder. You can also add greens supplements, flaxseed powder, or almonds.
- Blend your smoothie ingredients with ice for a healthy and refreshing snack or meal replacement.
Recipe for Low Glycemic Index Smoothie – Berry Smoothie
- 1 cup fresh or frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries)
- 1/2 cup cranberry or cran-apple juice (no sugar added)
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt (no sugar added)
- 3 ice cubes, crushed
Combined all ingredients and blend until smooth.
This recipe has a glycemic index of 19 and contains 69 calories.
- 1 medium peach, peeled and sliced, or ½ cup canned peaches, unsweetened
- 1 cup nonfat peach yogurt (artificially sweetened)
- Dash of ground cinnamon